Thursday, April 4, 2013

Fruit and Nut Cake

 

It was our wedding anniversary and I wanted to bake a cake. However I was out of eggs, fruits, cream cheese and cocoa. So I knew I cannot make any fancy cake without these ingredients. I was wondering what to do and how to make a cake without any of these. The only fruit I had at home was a pineapple. I thought of making a pineapple cake but it would need eggs and cream cheese for frosting. My neighbour had given me an old cake recipe book and while flipping through the pages I came across this fruit and nut cake recipe. I had all the ingredients mentioned in that recipe and I decided to give it a try. The result was awesome. Its the best fruit and nut cake we've ever had. The cake was super delicious, super healthy, nutty, extremely moist and flavourful. With a few ingredients at hand you can easily bake this cake and it will be an instant hit amongst your guests. My lil girl and hubby both enjoyed this cake. Here is the recipe.
 
Ingredients:-
Water – 2 cups
Dried Apricots – 1/4 cup, chopped
Dried Plums - 1/4 cup
Dried Cranberries - 1/4 cup
Tutti frutti - 1/4 cup
Fresh pineapple - 1/4 cup, chopped (you can add any fresh fruit of your choice)
Grated coconut or coconut flakes - 1/4 cup (sweet or unsweetened)
Walnuts – 1/4 cup, chopped
Pecans – 1/4 cup, chopped
Cashews – 1/4 cup, chopped
Raisins – 1/4 cup
Butter – 1 stick (1/2 cup)
Almond Extract – 1 1/2 tsp
All-Purpose Flour – 1 3/4 cup
Sugar – 1 cup
Baking Soda – 1 tsp
Baking Powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon Powder – 1/2 tsp
All spice powder – 1/2 tsp
  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. In a small sauce pan, add 2 cups water, cranberries, raisins, plums and apricots. Cover the pan with a lid and cook on medium heat for 7 minutes or you can microwave it for 3 mins.
  3. Pour water with fruits into a large mixing bowl.
  4. Add butter and mix until the butter melts. Allow the mixture to cool and then add the almond extract.
  5.  In a separate bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, baking Soda, baking powder, cinnamon Powder and all spice powder.
  6.  Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well.
  7. Then add the coconut, pineapple, tutti frutti, nuts and pour mixture into a greased bundt pan.
  8.  Bake for 35 – 40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean from the center.


No comments:

Post a Comment