Thursday, January 31, 2013

Bombay Biryani

 
During the late 90s I worked in Mumbai for a few years and I used to frequently visit one of the most famous biryani joints in south mumbai - "Noorani cafe" in Mahalaxmi. In 90's and early 2000 this place was great and food was awesome. I don't know whether its still popular now. Its been ages since I went there. But I still remember their chicken and mutton biryani. Not too spicy, not too oily and just the right amount of flavor. The cafe had a decent ambience, reasonable prices and used to be packed with people all the time. Whenever someone talks about bombay biryani I always remember nooranis. So yesterday I tried the bombay biryani recipe at home. Miles away from India, I know I cannot think of going to mumbai for my favourite biryani so why not make biryani at home and enjoy. I had a packet of Laziza bombay biryani masala given to me by my aunt. It is one of the best bombay biryani masalas I have ever had. I tried Shan bombay biryani mix but it was way too spicy for me. Laziza biryani masala can be found in Indo-pak stores here in the US. I kind of liked it because its not too spicy, very flavourful and had loads of dried plums in the masala. I love plums. This gave my biryani a mild tangy flavor. You can use any bombay biryani masala of your choice and make this mouth-watering bombay biryani. Here is the recipe.
Ingredients:-
1 pound chicken cut and washed. (You can use both boneless or with bones)

2 cups Basmati rice soaked for 30mins

5- Onions (medium sized finely sliced)
4- Tomatoes medium sized (chopped)
4- Potatoes medium sized (peeled and cut in 4 pcs)
1 cup- Yoghurt (beaten)
1 cup- Ghee/Cooking Oil ,

Few strands of saffron soaked in 2 tblsp milk
 
4 tblsp- Laziza Zafrani Bombay Biryani Masala
 
  1. Fry onions till becomes golden. Put cut tomatoes & fry till oil/ghee separates.
  2. Add chicken, Bombay Biryani Masala, potatoes and yoghurt, fry for 10-15 minutes
  3. Now stir fry on high flame to make masala thick & ghee/oil separates.
  4. Separately boil soaked rice in 12 glasses of hot water with 3 tablespoons of salt till half tender. Drain water thoroughly.
  5. Form 1 layer of rice. Spread the cooked chicken masala. Then form third layer on it with the remaining rice. Sprinkle the soaked saffron on the rice
  6. Cover the lid and seal the edges of the pan with an aluminium foil
  7. Place it on a hot tava or a griddle on a very low heat until the rice is fully cooked.
    Serve hot with raita or plain yogurt.





No comments:

Post a Comment