Sunday, January 20, 2013

 

Lemon Strawberry cake with Chocolate Fudge frosting 


 
 
I had fresh strawberries lying around at home and everytime I see fruits I am tempted to try out some new recipes. Most of the times I end up making cakes with them. Tried making cakes with most of the fruits till date and sometimes I surprise myself with the outcome. The cakes turn out so delicious and at times they are a disaster. I remember once I saw a bunch of bananas at home and I made a banana chocolate chip loaf recipe. I dont know where I went wrong in the process the end result was so embarrasing. The cake turned out hard, dense and a total mess. There goes hours worth of hard work and a bunch of good organic bananas down the drain. After that everytime hubby dear gets bananas he warns me not to touch them except if I want to eat them. Anyways, I will someday make the same cake again and hopefully not mess it up. Ok so where were we, about the strawberries, so yesterday I made a lemon strawberry cake. I read the recipe in a cook book once and made a few changes of my own. Moist and lemony this cake has an unusual combination of lemons, strawberries and chocolate. It also gets much of its depth of flavour from addition of extra virgin olive oil. The cake turned out moist, soft and you can taste the lemons and strawberries both without one overpowering the other.
 
Ingredients:-
13/4 cups all-purpose flour
11/2 tsp double-acting baking powder
1 cup sugar
Zest of 1 1/2 lemons
4 large eggs at room temperature
3 1/2 tblsp whole milk
1 1/2 tblsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
7 tblsp unsalted butter melted and still warm
2/3 cup mild extra virgin olive oil
1 pint fresh strawberries cut in pieces.
 
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 deg F. Butter a 10-inch round pan, dust it with flour.
  2. Sift the flour and baking powder together and keep aside.
  3. Put sugar and lemon zest in a bowl and rub them together with your palms until the sugar becomes moist and aromatic.
  4. Add the eggs one at a time and beat on a medium high speed until the mixture is pale and thick, about 3 minutes approx.
  5. Lower the speed and beat in the milk,add the dry ingredients slowly, beating until they are mixed.
  6. Add lemon juice, warm melted butter and olive oil again beating until the mixture is completely blended. The batter will be runny and thin.
  7. Pour about half the batter in the pan, top with cut strawberries to cover the whole batter. Pour the rest of the batter covering all the strawberries.
  8. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes depending on your oven or until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
  9. Once cooled take it out and cover with the chocolate fudge frosting.
 

Chocolate fudge frosting


Ingredients:-
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk
5 tablespoons butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
 


  1. Put sugar, milk and butter in a sauce pan.
  2. Bring to a boil, while stirring constantly.
  3. Remove from heat and add the chocolate chips.
  4. Whip beat until creamy and cooled.
 
Spread evenly on the cake and decorate with fresh cut strawberries.
     

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment